Crowds descended from all corners of the country for today’s 77th Virginia Agricultural Show in Co. Cavan. AgriLand was there to provide a snapshot of the proceedings.
Along with the prestigious 35th Diageo Baileys Irish Champion Dairy Cow competition, some of the other top cattle highlights taking place today include:
- Glanbia Virginia sponsored the €700 Friesian In-Calf-Heifer competition;
- The Lakeland Dairies Champion of the Show;
- The A.W. Ennis Interbreed Champion of the Show;
- The Lisgrey House Restaurant Commercial Champion;
- The North Eastern Simmental Club and Charolais Club junior championship finals;
- The Univet Ireland Limited and Virginia Show Commercial Heifer Championship.
Meanwhile, top-quality commercial cattle were also on show for the Liffey Meats €2,000 Champion Beef Bullock Competition. In addition, a competitive display was present for the Carnaross Mart €5,000 Male/Female Champion Weanling Show. Sponsored by Carnaross Mart, classes were open to calves born in 2018.
On the day, there was dairy and beef classes for all cattle, including: Holstein Friesian; crossbreds; commercials; continentals; Shorthorn; Hereford; Angus; Charolais; Limousin; Saler; Simmental; Belgian Blue; Aubrac; and Blonde D’Aquitaine.
In total, almost 500 classes showcasing what’s great about agriculture and lifestyle – along with 200 trade stands – greeted visitors to this year’s extravaganza.