As of Sunday night, at least 19 Arizona school districts have notified parents that they will close their schools Thursday in response to the statewide #RedForEd teacher walkout.
Dozens of other school districts could announce their decisions Monday to either stay open or close.
The list of schools that plan to stay open or close is subject to change. The Arizona Republic will continue to update this list throughout the week.
AEU organizers have said the duration of the statewide walkout will depend on “the response from the Legislature and educators.
A number of school districts have stated in their notices to parents that any missed school days would likely have to be made up at the end of the year because the state requires a set amount of instruction days.
Most school districts have warned parents that schools could be closed Thursday if there aren’t enough staff to safely operate, but as of Sunday had not yet come to a decision, an Arizona Republic review has found.
Ten school districts had alerted parents as of Sunday night that they will stay open in some capacity. Many of these districts said they plan to operate on some sort of early-release schedule.
Many districts in their notices say they are still gauging how many educators and support staff intend to walk out Thursday.
The Republic could not immediately find any notices for several of the state’s small, rural school districts.
Return to azcentral.com for updates on school walkout closures.
Arizona schools that will be closed Thursday:
- Alahambra Elementary School District
- Apache Junction Unified School District
- Cartwright Elementary School District
- Casa Grande Elementary School District
- Casa Grande Union High School District
- Chandler Unified School District
- Clarkdale-Jerome Elementary School District
- Deer Valley Unified School District
- Florence Unified School District
- Holbrook Unified School District
- Kingman Unified School District
- Kyrene School District
- Liberty Elementary School District
- Maricopa Unified School District
- Mesa Public Schools
- Page Unified School District
- Paradise Valley Unified School District
- Pendergast Elementary School District
- Winslow Unified School District
Schools that plan to stay open Thursday:
- Agua Fria Union High School District (Operating on early release schedule.)
- Avondale Elementary School District (Operating on early release schedule.)
- Chino Valley Unified School District (Operating on “3-hour early release” schedule)
- Fowler Elementary School District (Plans to keep schools open as “non-instructional day.”)
- Isaac Elementary School District (Operating on early release schedule.)
- Osborn Elementary School District (Operating on early release schedule.)
- Pine-Strawberry Elementary School District
- Queen Creek Unified School District
- Tempe Elementary School District
- Tucson Unified School District (Schools will stay open to students, but “depending on staffing, instruction may not occur.”)