HOUSTON, Mo. — One local school district makes a move to keep its ore than one thousand students, teachers and staff safe.
After a unanimous vote by the Houston school board, the district will now have its first ever school resource officer.
The city and school district are still ironing out details like the hours and responsibilities of the officer but at this time the agreement is for the school to cover 75 percent of the costs with the city picking up the remaining 25 percent.
The school will be on the hook for roughly $35,000.
Houston Police Chief Tim Ceplina says an officer has been chosen for the position and over the summer the officer will go through training directed at protecting the schools.
The resource officer will have office space available in every school.
Superintendent Allen Moss envisions more than an armed guard patrolling the grounds.
“I see the officer building those relationships with the kids. My vision of that is also bringing in some programs that are current in with whatever age level we’re dealing with so that the kids identify that police officer as someone they trust and depend on and then if something did arise, I think we’ll just be that far ahead,” Moss exclaimed.
Mother Shawna Myrick has been waiting for a school resource officer.
“Honestly, it’s about time. I think that with a small town, that’s normally where things happen and I think that an officer needs to be there so that they are safe, especially since we’ve already had a couple of incidents this year. That way I don’t have to worry when I send my kids to school.”
The officer is expected to begin at the start of next school year.