While most of us are getting ready for the Christmas holiday, a local family has lost everything in a house fire.
A small business owner wants to help out and he’s challenging others to get involved.
A home on Laven Drive is practically another family member to Joe Gonzales and his family.
Early in the morning on Wednesday, Joe, his wife, and their young son were awakened by smoke detectors.
The front door was blocked by flames, but the Gonzales family was able to escape out the backdoor.
“I mean nobody can imagine being in this position and nobody wants to be in this position two weeks before Christmas,” said John Thunert, owner of All Above Air.
After seeing our story about the Gonzales Family, John Thunert is volunteering to help.
“I wish I could build the whole house,” said Thunert.
Thunert owns a heating, ventilation and cooling business and is donating a system to the Gonzales Family.
He’s asking other small businesses to help.
“We’ve got a roof and an air conditioning unit ready to go,” said Thunert. “We’re going to make this happen.”
After losing his house, Gonzales says all the help the community is offering is overwhelming.
“Appreciate the help,” said Gonzales. “There are good people out there. And we appreciate it.”
Joe suffered second degree burns when he went back inside his house, but he’s doing better and was released from the hospital on Friday.
No official word on the cause but the family believes it was electrical.